Titus 2:13

"Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God, and our Saviour Jesus Christ." - Titus 2:13

Pause, my soul, over these sweet and solemn words. Is Jesus my hope? Surely then it is a blessed hope; for all blessings are in him. Art thou looking for his appearing? Pause, for the thought is solemn. How shall I know? Suppose this moment the trumpet of the archangel was to sound, "Arise, ye dead, and come to judgment;" my soul, art thou ready? Pause once more. Do I long for Jesus's appearing now, in the conversion of every poor sinner? Do I rejoice to hear, at any time; that a soul is born to God? If so, is not this looking for his appearing? Again - Do I long for Jesus appearing in the after- manifestations of his grace to the souls of the people? - for this is to rejoice with them that do rejoice, and to prove a family interest. Again-Is Jesus precious to me, and do I long for the renewal of his visits, as the earth longeth for the rising sun? When I read his word, sing his praise, call upon his name, mingle in the congregation, go to his table; is his appearing upon all these occasions precious now, and are his love-tokens sweeter to my soul than honey, and the honey-comb? If, my soul, thou canst bear a cheerful testimony to these things, and, canst truly call them blessed now; surely the hope of Jesus's second coming is blessed also, and thou canst well subscribe to the apostle's words; for his appearing being now gracious, will then be glorious, in the appearing of the great God, and our Saviour Jesus Christ.

No comments :

Post a Comment