Psalm 40:17

"I am poor and needy, yet the Lord thinketh upon me." - Psalm 40:17

Precious consideration, my soul! Under all thine exercises, the Lord, thy Lord, thy Jesus, thinketh upon thee. Wherefore should I faint, then, under any burden? Surely I may say, as Hagar did at the well, "Thou, God, seest me." Surely I may give my God, my Saviour, this name, as she did; for she said, "Have I also here looked after him that seeth me?" Yes, however unconscious my poor heart is of the blessed truth, yet a very blessed truth it is, while! am looking after Jesus, he is beforehand, thinking and looking upon me. Precious Lamb of God! I will remember my poverty no more: that is, I will remember it no more, but as it is made the means in thy hand to make me sensible of my need and thy fullness. Art thou thinking upon me? Do I hear thy gracious voice, saying to me, "I know the thoughts that I think towards you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end?" Oh then, herein I will rejoice! Poor and needy as I am, let me be more poor, more needy, so but I see my fullness in Jesus. He is thinking of me, providing for me, blessing me. I would not be full for the world, or fancy myself so; for what room should I then have for Jesus? What it will be in heaven, I know not, in the fullness of happiness that is there, though that fullness can only be in and from Jesus; but here below, a full state, or a supposed full state, would be a wretched state. No, let me be poor and needy, empty and in want, wretched and helpless in myself; for then I am sure my Jesus will be most precious. Mark it down, then, my soul, this day, and wear it about thine heart as a pleasing consideration - when thou feelest thy need and poverty most, the Lord thy Jesus thinketh upon thee.

No comments :

Post a Comment