Exodus 21:5-6

"If the servant shall plainly say, I love my master, my wife, and my children, I will not go out free. Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door posts; and his master shall bore his ear through with an awl, and he shall serve him forever." - Exodus 21:5-6

How sweet is scripture explained by scripture! Jesus saith, when sacrifice and offering under the law were both unprofitable, "Mine ears hast thou opened;" or, as it might have been rendered, "Mine ears hast thou digged." Ps. xl. 6. And elsewhere, "The Lord God hath opened mine ear, and I was not rebellious." Isa. l, 5. The apostle to the Hebrews decidedly explains this in reference to Christ, Heb. x. 5. And what was all this but to shew the voluntary service of Jesus to the office and work of the Redeemer. Was not Jesus, in all that high work, the servant of Jehovah? Though he was in the form of God, and with him it was no robbery to be equal with God, yet he made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant. And for whom did he this? Was it not, in effect, saying, like the Jewish servant, which was typical of him, "I love my master, my father, in the work of redemption?" John xiv. 31. "I love my wife, my church, my spouse." Song iv. 10. "I love my children: behold I, and the children thou hast given me." Isa. viii. 18. "I will not go out free." Oh, precious Lord Jesus! well might the apostle say, "Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ loved the church, and gave himself for it!" Surely it was thy love, dearest Lord, to thy church, that moved thee to serve Jehovah, "as Israel served for a wife, and for a wife kept sheep." Hosea xii. 12. Oh for grace to love thee, and to serve thee forever!

No comments :

Post a Comment